Monday, July 20, 2009

Everything I Learned About Being an Advocate I Learned From My Mother

Everything I Learned About Being an Advocate I Learned From My Mother
Stolen and Adapted by Mylinda Elliott

My Mother taught me to appreciate a job well done.
“If you’re going to kill each other, do it outside…I just finished cleaning.”

My Mother taught me Religion.
“You better pray that will come out of the carpet.”

My Mother taught me about Positive Behavior Supports.
“If you don’t straighten up, I’m going to knock you into the middle of next
week!”

My Mother taught me about Logic.
“Because I said so, that’s why.”

My Mother taught me to Follow an Individualized Plan.
“Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you’re in an accident.”

My Mother taught me about Goals and Objectives.
“Keep laughing and I’ll give you something to cry about.”

My Mother taught me about Learning Styles.
“Shut your mouth and eat your supper!”

My Mother taught me to be Flexible.
“Will you look at the dirt on the back of your neck!”

My Mother taught me about Stamina.
“You’ll sit there till that spinach is finished.”

My Mother taught me about Hypocrisy.
“If I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a million times-- Don’t Exaggerate!”

My Mother taught me about Behavior Modification.
“Stop acting like your father.”

My Mother taught me about Related Services.
“There are children less fortunate than you in this world who don’t have wonderful parents like you do!”

My Mother taught me about Parental Participation.
“I brought you into the world, and I can take you out!”

No comments:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner